Meeting Minutes | MG Classics of Jacksonville
August 28, 2021
Meeting Convened: 10am
Total Attendance: 29
Number of MGs: 4 plus 1 Triumph
New Members Present: None
Returning Members: Bob Wren and John Bacon
Location: Due to a surge in COVID cases in the Jacksonville Catchment area the decision was made to continue to use the outdoor location of Trout Creek Memorial Park & Marina to mitigate the potential to transmit the COVID virus.
The weather had been wet for the preceding week with rain forecast in the meeting day morning. We had expected that the turn-out would be low but were pleasantly surprised when twenty-nine members arrived. Five stalwarts arrived in their Little British Cars, in some cases braving early morning rain. The rain held off for the period of the meeting and the heat was not too oppressive.
The President welcomed the return of Bob Wren and John Bacon, and congratulated Geoff Ashcroft on the 'all clear' after serious surgery. Geoff and Paula joined us for the meeting.
1. Information Update: Go to the MG Classics of Jacksonville Website Events Calendar and the Newsletter for current information updates. Name Badges, Club Patches*, and Club Car Badges may be purchased via the Website using your PayPal account, Credit Card, or a Personal Check. Note: We are unable to ship items so they must be picked up at a Club meeting or event. New members are entitled to two free club patches with their membership.
2. Resource Directory: The Club Resource Directory continues to grow and should be reviewed when looking for assistance in keeping your MG on the road, reliable, and safe.
3. Club Roster: The Club Roster is now available after a temporary outage after the Website software company implemented a system update that damaged the Table Master software used to display the Roster. Other damaged Data Tables have also been restored.
1. Membership Statistics: The President advised that the Club currently has one hundred-three primary members. This total does not include family members attached to a primary member.
2. The Election Process: The election process to elect Club Officers for 2022 commences in the month of October with the identification of Nominees. The four Club Officer positions open for consideration are: The President; Vice President; Secretary, and Treasurer. Please seriously consider running for office in 2022. Nominations are required to be posted at the October Meeting with voting taking place at the November meeting. We are looking for 'new blood' to join the Team of Officers handling the day-to-day running of the Club. If you wish to join the slate of candidates please contact the Vice President at: 'email@example.com'. Include you name, eMail Address, phone number, and the position you are interested in.
3. Spare and Replacement Parts Issues: All of the major vendors of MG Spare and Replacement parts are suffering supply shortages with an increasing number of items out-of-stock. Back Order parts are taking months to fill inventory and become available again. Due to a Change in Florida Tax Law, Purchase Tax must be paid on all items shipped into Florida, including all MG Parts purchased from out-of-state parts vendors.
4. Storage Locker: The Treasurer highlighted that the Club continues to fund a storage locker and requested more details and who has access. Richard Gross indicated he has a key to the locker and agreed to provide the key for a visit and inspection by the President.
5. MGs & Items for Sale: Richard Gross indicated that he had purchased Jim Nolan's 1962 MGA. Jim also has a 1952 MGTD for Sale but has not yet decided the price, and a complete dashboard for a 1969 MGB for sale. You can find Jim's contact details by logging into the Club Membership Roster located in the Members Only area of the Website (See the Website main menu).
Bruce Sedelmeyer reminded the group that he still has an unused two post car lift for sale at a deep discount. Interested, call Bruce.
Other items of interest: John Bacon purchased the MGTD engine restored by Wayne Snook to replace his damaged engine in his 1951 MGTD.
6. Cruise-ins, Shows, and Gatherings
a) 09/11/2021: Caffeine and Octane at the Avenues Mall, 2nd Saturday each month.
b) 09/21/2021: Jax Beach Classic Car Cruise, 3rd Tuesday each month.
c) 09/19/2021: Cars and Coffee Fleming Island, 3rd Sunday each month.
d) 09/23-09/26/2021: Brits in the Valley, Columbus GA. (Peachtree MG Registry). Ian Massey and Mike Hogan will be attending. If interested contact 'firstname.lastname@example.org'.
e) 09/25/2021: Cars & Cannons, Car Show within the walls of Fort Clinch. Excellent location and fantastic views from the walls of the Fort. Details & Registration Go To:
f) 10/02/2021: Cruisin’ the Creek, Trout Creek Memorial Park. The Club has pre-registered ten MGs to reserve parking for Club members with their MG. If you wish to attend and park with our Club Group you must register via the Club Website. This is a Charity event for the Robin McDonald House of Jacksonville.
Lily Kinmonth reminded the President that it has been past practice to donate door prizes for this charity event. Bruce indicated that he will discuss the issue of a donation to fund Door prizes with the Club Board of Directors.
For Cruisin' to the Creek Details and Registration Go To:
g) 10/02/2021: Annual Britfest, Myrtle Beach S.C. One day show 9 am–4 pm. V.P. Mark Spaulding is planning on attending. Please get with Mark for possible caravan arrangement.
h) 10/16/2021: British Car Classic XXXII. Hosted by the Triumph Club at the Kings Head British Pub St Augustine. A 'Must Attend' show for all British Car Owners in the north-east Florida Catchment area. Flyer and Registration at:
i) 11/19-11/21/2021: MG Jamboree 22, Safety Harbor, Florida. Hosted by the Suncoast MG Car Club.
j) 04/22-04/24/2022: GOF-South 2022 Host hotel, the Mission Inn Resort, Howey in the Hills, FL. Still waiting for registration form to be posted but seriously recommend reserving your hotel ASAP. You can access the GOF-South website to contact the Mission Inn. They are holding around 75-80 rooms for the event. The Orlando club had over one-hundred registrations for the 2020 GOF at this same venue. Don't delay or you run the risk of having to stay at a satellite hotel away from the action. Go To the GOF-South website at:
There are several more events not highlighted above. Check the website Events Calendar for additional events.
7. Christmas Party, The President noted there are no plans for a 2021 Club Christmas Party to date. He appealed to members to suggest potential venues for a Christmas event. Please notify the President if you wish to make a suggestion about a potential venue. However, when considering a potential venue please consider that the current surge in COVID infections is unlikely to have abated by December.
8. Club Newsletter, Our Newsletter Editor, Fred Groenert, is always looking for stories, articles, tech tips, etc. for our monthly Newsletter. If you have any articles of interest please contact Fred.
9. Raffle & 50/50:
50/50 Drawing: Ian Massey was the winner of the 50/50 cash pot. He donated the winnings to the Club.
Part at Cost: Neil Nelson and Wayne Snook donated an “at cost” part from Moss Motors. Must be used within 30 days. Good for One item only. Winner - Mark Spaulding.**
Jim Bak Memorabilia: Three items from ex-Club President Jim Bak MG memorabilia donation were also raffled.
** Note: Due to a Change in Florida Tax Law, Purchase Tax must be paid on all items shipped into Florida. This impacts all purchases from out-of State MG parts vendors, including those purchased via the Club's MOSS distributor! After Neil and Wayne's Distributor discounts to Club members the Tax hit is marginally less painful.
Date: Saturday, September 25, 2021:
Trout Creek Memorial Park and Marina, St. Augustine
10am until Noon
Meeting adjourned at Noon although groups hung around kicking tires and talking MG and Club Stuff.
Sybil Bradley Bruce Sedelmeyer